Skip to main content

Moana (2016)

Source
John Musker and Ron Clements are the directors behind Disney Renaissance classics such as Basil The Great Mouse Detective (1986), The Little Mermaid (1989), Aladdin (1992), and Hercules (1997). Since Disney's shift towards computer animation, Clement and Musker add to that CV with their latest outing, Moana. Following recent Disney faves such as Tangled (2010), Frozen (2013) and Zootropolis (2016) I had high expectations for this.

Th
e film tells the story of the princess of a Polynesian tribe chosen by the ocean to find and return a god's magical relic where it belongs. Moana goes in search of the relic that has the power to create life and safe her tribe with the help of a idiot chicken and a demigod, Maui. I don't think it's a true story. If my attempt to describe the plot doesn't make a lot of sense, please don't let it put you off - there is a reason Disney is telling the story, and I'm sat here in my pyjamas eating a tube of paprika Pringles. Much like everyone else, Disney films played a huge role as I grew up, and Lion King is one of the first films I remember going to see at the cinema. More recently Tangled and Frozen blew me away, and Zootropolis did a fantastic job at entertaining and educating in equal measure. I was so pleased to find that not only did Moana continue to ride the successful wave of those films, but also carry on their tradition of having a strong female lead character - I'd go as far to say that breakout star Auli'i Cravalho's Moana is the most three-dimensional to date too. She has ambitions and motivations everyone will be able to connect with, and the patience to put up with an idiot chicken that kept reminding me of the braindead horse in Family Guy. The demigod, Maui, voiced brilliantly by Dwayne Johnson, also keeps the princess company. Johnson has said in the past how hard a job voice acting is and how annoyed he can get at the casting of other big name celebrities in animations despite their poor delivery. Apparently he would often ask for validation from the Moana crew that he was doing a good job, and it's that level of care from everyone involved that runs throughout this film.
Image result for moana gif
Source
To say I had run out on the first day of release to catch Moana would be a lie. Had it not been for Lin-Manuel Miranda, this film would have passed me by. Charlotte and I currently have an unhealthy obsession with his Broadway smash hit musical, Hamilton (we're always very late to the party). Telling the story of founding father, Alexander Hamilton via hip-hop and rap, the soundtrack has been on repeat in our flat for the last week. When we realised writer and lead, Miranda, had contributed towards the songs of Moana it didn't take long for Charlotte to book tickets to go. His influence definitely shines through in Moana's brilliant 'How Far I'll Go' and 'You're Welcome'. Although I think parents only just recovering from car journeys with 'Let It Go' on repeat may be safe in this occasion, that isn't to say the tunes aren't great during their place in the film. Jermaine Clement's (in coconut crab form) quirky and bizarre "Shiny" could also have been plucked straight from a Flight if the Conchords episode. Never a bad thing in my book.
Moana disney how far i'll go
Source
Moana features beautiful looking backdrops, foliage, and coconut pirates, as well as some of the best looking ocean animation since Life of Pi (a character in itself). It all adds up to one of the most stunning films of the year. As a kid's film, this ticks every box. Time will tell, but I assume it will be just short of the longevity of a Lion King, Frozen, or Zootropolis, but that isn't to take anything away from what was a load of fun from start to finish. I recently watched a YouTube video about average films, the mimicking of each other and why that has become the norm. The lack of originality in cinema sometimes can get frustrating, so when there is it should be celebrated. It's therefore disappointing I've heard very little of Disney's latest outing, its original plot (no sequel or reboot here), strong female lead, or excellent mix of superb music and visuals. Production companies churn out lazy kids film imitations like Secret Life of Pets (2016), uninspiring sequels such as Shrek The Third (2007), or throw celebrity voice overs at toy adverts such as Trolls (2016) all to often. It's refreshing when imaginative plots like Moana's, or Zootropolis' challenging commentary on the world around us hit our screens. I know which will find a place in my collection should I ever decide to have kids.
Moana reaction disney the rock reaction gif
Source

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Breathe (2016)

Source Directed by Fede Alvarez, Home Alone 6 Don’t Breathe stars Jane Levy, Dylan Minnette and Daniel Zovatto as three young burglars that pick the wrong house. Stephen Lang plays their apparent easy target: a blind man with a ridiculous Tom Hardy-esc voice, and hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash hidden in his house. Their new host manages to turn the tables though, and if you have seen the trailer you will know what I mean when I say that this is one of the most original concepts for a horror film I’ve seen in a long time. Source This was the third time my friend Eve and I had tried to go to see something together at the cinema. Hail, Caesar! (2016) didn’t happen when phone batteries and ridiculous traffic conspired against us, and The Usual Suspects (1995) didn’t happen when Odeon forgot to get the rights to show it! So when we found ourselves running nearly 30 minutes late in awful traffic again, we were close to giving up and banning each other from going a

Wonder Woman (2017)

Source You may have heard this already, but Wonder Woman is a bit good.  I've grown pretty tired of the superhero formula and constant revolving door of money machine films in similar packaging, but was really impressed with the freshness of Deadpool (2016) and in particular, Logan   (2017) .   One of my favourite YouTube subscriptions , Nerdwriter , analysed this evolution of the superhero genre in his most recent video and put it much better than I ever could - suddenly, it's an interesting time to be making a superhero movie again. Source Saying that, until the positive reviews began to stream in I was approaching the release of Wonder Woman with a fair bit of trepidation.   DC film have obviously been really disappointing, drab affairs of late.  Although I caught Man of Steel (2013) and Suicide Squad (2016), I'll admit that it's negative reception put me off sitting through over 3 hours of Batman vs Superman.  It's a shame as although Man of Steel w

Cineworld Unlimited Card Review

Source I love the cinematic experience – Despite my embarrassingly large DVD collection, there is nothing like the escapism of the immersive cinematic experience. Films are created with that experience in mind, not for those sat watching films on their laptops at home. I’ve been a Cineworld Unlimited card holder for over 5 years now, and I would recommend it to anyone. Today I have worked through the many benefits to owning the card that I’ve come across during that time. The experience isn’t perfect, and if you have ever been to any multiplex cinema you’ll know what I mean, but to have access to as many films as I like as often as I like is a total no brainer. If you like your movies the way they are meant to be watched, it’s the way to go. The Money – Is it Worth It? Source For £17.40 a month you have “unlimited” access to movies – as many as you like, as many times as you like. With ticket prices as expensive as they are, to make that worthwhile per month you would on