Skip to main content

My Fave Feel-Good Films

Source
You may have watched it hundreds of times before.  You may know every line by heart.  But that’s pretty much the point.  It’s a familiar hug when you need it most, and a lift when you’re feeling low.  Following some sad news recently, my family’s first thoughts were to spend time together, go out for a meal and a catch up, and then to put on a film.  Although I’m not sure Premium Rush (2012) quite fit the bill in the end, below are my 8 favourites that do every time.

Crazy Stupid Love (2011)
emma stone ryan gosling steve carell julianne moore threat
Source
The film we should have put on that evening, and the one that I have on now, is Crazy Stupid Love.  Having really enjoyed Blue Valentine (2010) and Drive (2011), I was really looking forward to the release of Ryan Gosling’s latest at the time.  Emma Stone was great in Easy A (2010), I had loved Steve Carell in 2005’s The 40-Year-Old Virgin (I was yet to discover the superb US version of The Office), and Julianne Moore is Julianne Moore.  The four stars in question are four of the most likeable and charismatic personalities in cinema today.  When you add them in to one film it’s difficult to go wrong, but in the Gosling/Stone combination they actually came across one of the most likeable on screen couples you can imagine.  I’m very very exciting about the upcoming La La Land and have had the trailer on repeat the last few days, but that is at least in part to how well they work together here.

The first half of the film tells a pretty straight forward life coach story where Gosling helps Carell turn his life around after his wife (Moore) asks for a divorce.  Their back and forth is hilarious, and will put a smile on my face whatever else I have going on (watching it back now as I type, Gosling’s life coaching also seems to be talking to the male audience a lot of the time – possibly another reason I come out of watching it feeling better about myself).  The film cleverly eventually brings together its stories in a way you didn’t (but will feel you probably should have) seen coming.  The story is seriously feel good, laugh out loud funny, and it has the best Dirty Dancing scene since Dirty Dancing (1987).
drinking emma stone alcohol crazy stupid love
Source
The Princess Bride (1987)
Charlotte and I had this DVD sitting on our shelf for a while.  I think we were worried it was one of those films (like most Disney movies) that if you didn’t watch when you were a child, is never quite going to mean the same if you watch it for the first time as an adult.  We watched it eventually one typical Sunday evening when we were winding down and struggling to commit to a film any heavier than this.  I’m sure The Princess Bride will have taken another level again had I watched this when I was younger, but I was taken aback at how much I enjoyed it.  Sticking to the fairytale formula, it therefore feels familiar even watching it the first time.  It’s warm, good natured, hilarious, and full of brilliant characters with even better quotes. 
Related image
Source
 I wish Columbo would read me a book when I’m ill :(

School of Rock (2003)
It’s difficult to imagine a more perfect role for Jack Black than Dewey Finn, a failed rock singer who disguises himself as a substitute teacher at a prestigious school.  That Jack Black is funny in this doesn’t nearly cover it, but the support he receives from his child actor class is note perfect in every sense.  Sometimes films come together and it’s difficult to think of a way of improving it.  This is one.  I dread to think how many times my brother, sister and I watched this DVD and replayed the soundtrack.  How good is “Edge of Seventeen” by Stevie Nicks?
 sick saturday ill hangover jack black GIF
Source

Forrest Gump (1994)
I feel like Forrest Gump can often get a bit of a rough ride.  It’s often criticised as nothing more than emotional manipulation, and forever a film that “should never have won the best picture academy award” (to be fair, how did it beat Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption?).  I’ve always found that a bit unfair.  Forrest Gump will always be one of those films that you will struggle to turn off if it’s ever on TV, no matter how far in it is.  It will make you laugh, and it will make you cry, but if you’re ever after a heart-warming, feel good film, then this is an obvious choice.
Image result for forrest gump gif
Source
Catch Me if You Can (2002)
Another “Ah, I’m so tired, oh wait… crap… Catch Me if You Can is on TV… goodbye evening” film.  If this is ever on, it’s a physical struggle to tear myself away from it.  Christopher Walken is the Dad we never had, and in Tom Hanks and Leonardi Di Caprio, we have a battle of wits we wish both could win.  Somehow Spielberg balances the two characters so well, and makes them likeable in completely different ways.  Di Caprio pulls off the young and innocent Abagnale just as well as the older, manipulative model.  Also, Amy Adams is in it and that was a Pointless answer once.  Still proud.
catch me if you can
Source
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986)
Bueller… Buueeller… Buuueeellerrrr…

matthew broderick ferris buellers day off movie quotes life moves pretty fast
Source
When I was younger, to me Matthew Broderick and Jean Reno were always those guys in Godzilla (1998). Thankfully I grew up and had the sense to watch Ferris Bueller’s Day Off and Léon (1994). As good as the latter is, the Ferris Bueller character, and his wide eyed, optimistic outlook on life, and making the most of every day is the one you need to watch if you’re ever feeling down in the dumps. The humour is on point, the slapstick works, it has one of the best dance scenes ever, you can’t help feeling great about life come the end come the end, Charlie Sheen has a bit of a cameo… what more do you need?

You’ve Got Mail (1998)
The classic ‘ITV3 on a Sunday afternoon’ fall back.  It may be because I saw this first, but I’ve always felt this is so much better than Sleepless in Seattle (1993), another romantic comedy starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.  The presentation of the internet, and email as a brand new and exciting innovation is pretty hilarious nowadays (prepare yourself for AOL, and dial up tones), but that actually adds to its charm.  Hanks and Ryan fall for each other over emails without ever realising that their new pen pal, and their new business rival across the road are one and the same. Their chemistry is brilliant, and although you know exactly where it’s heading (whether it’s the first or the 21st time you have seen it), you can’t help but fall for it. There aren’t many more sweeter, and warm-in-your-tummy moments than Tom Hanks running through Central Park shouting, “Brinkley! Brinkley!!”

movie 90s youve got mail
Source
The Sound of Music (1965)
I don’t think my Mum would ever forgive me if this didn’t make the list.  A family favourite, I can remember watching this with my Granny during family breaks to Whitby, with my sister at Christmas, and I’m not sure how Charlotte’s got away with not being forced to watch it yet… it’s ridiculous how many times we have watched Julie Andrews spin around atop those mountains.  It’s a classic because of its brilliant songs, a charming cast of children that could so easily have been annoying, and the stern but very likeable Christopher Plummer.  But it’s Julie Andrews that carries the film, and takes it to another level.  For many she will always be Mary Poppins, but for the Cantillon family, she will always be Maria.

dance julie andrews the sound of music
Source

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Breathe (2016)

Source Directed by Fede Alvarez, Home Alone 6 Don’t Breathe stars Jane Levy, Dylan Minnette and Daniel Zovatto as three young burglars that pick the wrong house. Stephen Lang plays their apparent easy target: a blind man with a ridiculous Tom Hardy-esc voice, and hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash hidden in his house. Their new host manages to turn the tables though, and if you have seen the trailer you will know what I mean when I say that this is one of the most original concepts for a horror film I’ve seen in a long time. Source This was the third time my friend Eve and I had tried to go to see something together at the cinema. Hail, Caesar! (2016) didn’t happen when phone batteries and ridiculous traffic conspired against us, and The Usual Suspects (1995) didn’t happen when Odeon forgot to get the rights to show it! So when we found ourselves running nearly 30 minutes late in awful traffic again, we were close to giving up and banning each other from going a

Wonder Woman (2017)

Source You may have heard this already, but Wonder Woman is a bit good.  I've grown pretty tired of the superhero formula and constant revolving door of money machine films in similar packaging, but was really impressed with the freshness of Deadpool (2016) and in particular, Logan   (2017) .   One of my favourite YouTube subscriptions , Nerdwriter , analysed this evolution of the superhero genre in his most recent video and put it much better than I ever could - suddenly, it's an interesting time to be making a superhero movie again. Source Saying that, until the positive reviews began to stream in I was approaching the release of Wonder Woman with a fair bit of trepidation.   DC film have obviously been really disappointing, drab affairs of late.  Although I caught Man of Steel (2013) and Suicide Squad (2016), I'll admit that it's negative reception put me off sitting through over 3 hours of Batman vs Superman.  It's a shame as although Man of Steel w

Cineworld Unlimited Card Review

Source I love the cinematic experience – Despite my embarrassingly large DVD collection, there is nothing like the escapism of the immersive cinematic experience. Films are created with that experience in mind, not for those sat watching films on their laptops at home. I’ve been a Cineworld Unlimited card holder for over 5 years now, and I would recommend it to anyone. Today I have worked through the many benefits to owning the card that I’ve come across during that time. The experience isn’t perfect, and if you have ever been to any multiplex cinema you’ll know what I mean, but to have access to as many films as I like as often as I like is a total no brainer. If you like your movies the way they are meant to be watched, it’s the way to go. The Money – Is it Worth It? Source For £17.40 a month you have “unlimited” access to movies – as many as you like, as many times as you like. With ticket prices as expensive as they are, to make that worthwhile per month you would on