Skip to main content

Brooklyn (2015)

Source
Telling the story of one woman’s immigration to America from Ireland, Brooklyn received Best Picture, Actress and Adapted Screenplay Academy Award nominations, and a standing ovation at the Sundance Film Festival. Eilis manages to build contrasting lives in two countries, epitomised by the different men she meets and finds her torn between the two. During awards season we had a running joke that the success of John Crowley’s film was actually down to his namesake, my girlfriend’s dad. I missed the chance to see this when it was initially released but was pleased when I spotted is as I scrawled through Netflix one evening.

Saoirse Ronan
Source
Although the core story to Brooklyn wasn’t massively original, it was told brilliantly well. Right down from its direction and casual pacing to the acting from Saoirse Ronan and her stellar supporting cast. Surrounded by people such as Julie Walters, Jim Broadbent, Emory Cohen and Domhnall Gleeson, it would have been easy for her to slip in to the background. Fortunately she takes it by the scruff of the neck and carries the film brilliantly. That’s no mean feat when her character goes through multiple transformations. At first she is the girl that has outgrown her small town, until she is the small fish across the pond. With the help of those around her it becomes home, she finds her place, and she again comes in to her own. The story hinges on that journey ringing true and I thought Ronan was note perfect. Born in New York herself, but raised in Ireland to Irish parents, and I thought it really came across how personal and important a story this was to her. Initially a front runner in the casting of the character, it eventually went to Rooney Mara as Ronan was too young. Mara had to back out after the project stalled for a few years and by that time she was the correct age for the part. Seeing as Julie Walters was quoted as saying that Ronan’s talent left her wanting to go back to drama school it’s fair to say it all worked out in the end.
Source
Although the scenes in the town of Enniscorthy were as quaint and cute as intended, it was the scenes in Brooklyn itself that I enjoyed the most in this film. Mad Men remains one of my all-time favourite TV shows, and Brooklyn also had that characteristics of that time period spot on (albeit without the chain smoking, drinking and adultery). The fact that Mad Men’s Jessica Paré stars as Eilis’ boss made it feel like she had just walked straight from one 50s New York set to the next. The cars, clothes, products and streets all looked spot on, and those scenes in the shop Eilis worked at looked they had been pulled out of Carol (2015), another film whose characters you half expected to walk past in the background. Crowley cleverly differentiates the two locations with alternate frames and colouring, but they are personified by two love interests. I’m a big Domhnall Gleeson fan and went in to this expecting him to be my favourite of the two. It was Emory Cohen’s Tony that edged it though, and I found him and his American Italian family incredibly likeable. He character was a bit Marlon Brando… except you would actually like to spend time with him. He’s also in Place Beyond the Pines (2012), and I’m sure I’ll be picking that up again sometime soon after having seen him in this. Julie Walters and Jim Broadbent seem like guaranteed home runs as soon as you look up the cast list, and were both first choices for their roles. That isn’t to say either take it easy here though, and both play extremely endearing characters I wanted to see more and more of.
Source
Bar a couple of background shots that looked a little made for TV (slightly nit-picky there though), Brooklyn perfectly captures the time and is worth a watch for that alone. As well as that though you get storytelling and acting that can be heart-warming one minute, and gut wrenching the next with a finale I was really pleased with. I had enjoyed Netflix’s Stranger Things so much that I had almost forgotten there was actually anything else on there worth watching, but I’m really pleased to have come across this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Breathe (2016)

Source Directed by Fede Alvarez, Home Alone 6 Don’t Breathe stars Jane Levy, Dylan Minnette and Daniel Zovatto as three young burglars that pick the wrong house. Stephen Lang plays their apparent easy target: a blind man with a ridiculous Tom Hardy-esc voice, and hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash hidden in his house. Their new host manages to turn the tables though, and if you have seen the trailer you will know what I mean when I say that this is one of the most original concepts for a horror film I’ve seen in a long time. Source This was the third time my friend Eve and I had tried to go to see something together at the cinema. Hail, Caesar! (2016) didn’t happen when phone batteries and ridiculous traffic conspired against us, and The Usual Suspects (1995) didn’t happen when Odeon forgot to get the rights to show it! So when we found ourselves running nearly 30 minutes late in awful traffic again, we were close to giving up and banning each other from going a

Wonder Woman (2017)

Source You may have heard this already, but Wonder Woman is a bit good.  I've grown pretty tired of the superhero formula and constant revolving door of money machine films in similar packaging, but was really impressed with the freshness of Deadpool (2016) and in particular, Logan   (2017) .   One of my favourite YouTube subscriptions , Nerdwriter , analysed this evolution of the superhero genre in his most recent video and put it much better than I ever could - suddenly, it's an interesting time to be making a superhero movie again. Source Saying that, until the positive reviews began to stream in I was approaching the release of Wonder Woman with a fair bit of trepidation.   DC film have obviously been really disappointing, drab affairs of late.  Although I caught Man of Steel (2013) and Suicide Squad (2016), I'll admit that it's negative reception put me off sitting through over 3 hours of Batman vs Superman.  It's a shame as although Man of Steel w

Cineworld Unlimited Card Review

Source I love the cinematic experience – Despite my embarrassingly large DVD collection, there is nothing like the escapism of the immersive cinematic experience. Films are created with that experience in mind, not for those sat watching films on their laptops at home. I’ve been a Cineworld Unlimited card holder for over 5 years now, and I would recommend it to anyone. Today I have worked through the many benefits to owning the card that I’ve come across during that time. The experience isn’t perfect, and if you have ever been to any multiplex cinema you’ll know what I mean, but to have access to as many films as I like as often as I like is a total no brainer. If you like your movies the way they are meant to be watched, it’s the way to go. The Money – Is it Worth It? Source For £17.40 a month you have “unlimited” access to movies – as many as you like, as many times as you like. With ticket prices as expensive as they are, to make that worthwhile per month you would on